Welcome to our Forum....

Glennie
Club Regular
Topic Author

Enforcing the Law - A Guild Blog

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:46 pm

I've decided I'm going to keep a record of some of my games, write summaries and any other thoughts and observations. I invite my opponents to drop in with their own comments on our games.

Master Games Played Wins Losses Draws VPs Scored VPs Conceded
Lady Justice 4 2 2 0 23 23
Lucius 2 2 0 0 16 7
Perdita Ortega 2 2 0 0 18 8
Sonnia 1 1 0 0 7 1

Games Played to Date

05/09/17 - 8-4 win - Lady Justice vs McMourning (Mike)
12/09/17 - 7-3 win - Lucius vs McMourning (Gary)
19/09/17 - 5-6 loss - Lady Justice vs The Dreamer (Darren)
26/09/17 - 7-1 win - Sonnia vs Ironsides (Fraggle)
03/10/17 - 8-0 win - Perdita Ortega vs Wong (Del)
10/10/17 - 9-4 win - Lucius vs Seamus (Gary)
07/11/17 - 1-8 loss - Lady Justice vs Ophelia LaCroix (Del)
14/11/17 - 9-5 win - Lady Justice vs McMourning (Mike)
21/11/17 - 10-8 win - Perdita Ortega vs Seamus (Gary)

Glennie
Club Regular
Topic Author

Enforcing the Law - A Guild Blog

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:05 pm

Game Details

Encounter Size - 60
Deployment - Standard
Strategy - Turf War
Available Schemes - A Line in the Sand, Assassinate, Outflank, Protect Territory, Take Prisoner.

My Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 4

Lady Justice
- Justice Unleashed, Vendetta

The Judge
- Unrelenting Leader

Death Marshal Recruiter
Death Marshal Recruiter
Exorcist
Exorcist

Death Marshal
Death Marshal
Death Marshal

The strategy for this game was Turf War, this strategy was achievable for me due to the durability of my crew but Mike had the numbers to score VPs too so I felt it might be closely contested
I chose A Line in the Sand as I had an abundance of models with Finish the Job but also because I suspected Mike might take Outflank, as he outnumbered me heavily and had some durable models like Flesh Constructs and Necropunks which could keep my crew occupied while his cheap runners got themselves into position to score maximum VPs.
I chose Assassinate as I knew Mike would be eager to 'nuke' me with poison using McMourning and other shenanigans which can only be done at a relatively short range and with Turf War as the strategy both of our crews would be drawn towards the centre of the board. 

Mike's Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 5

McMourning
- Evidence TamperingUnknowable Pain, Unnerving Aura

Zombie Chihuahua

Sebastian
- Decaying Aura

Canine Remains
Canine Remains
Canine Remains
Flesh Construct
Flesh Construct
Necropunk
Necropunk
Nurse
Nurse

Mike chose Assassinate and Outflank.

Luck Ratings

Using a scale of 1-5, where 1 is your cards actively betraying you to your doom and 5 is having a lucky rabbit's foot wearing a horseshoe, with four-leaf clovers between the toes.

Me - 5/5
Mike - 1/5 - Summed up nicely by me flipping a black joker for a Df duel and Mike still having to cheat to succeed.

MVP

Lady Justice - No model was even close, she damaged two Nurses with Riposte, flipped a 12 at the first time of asking for Restore Natural Order which removed all the poison that Mike had put on the board to help him set up for Assassinate and to cause large amount of damage to my models, and due to my good luck with cards and liberal use of the Onslaught trigger she killed two Nurses, Sebastian and caused around 24 points of damage (before damage reduction flips, which might be the only thing Mike had good flips for all game) to McMourning.

Victory Points

Turf War - Due to time restrictions we could only play until the end of turn 4, meaning we could only score a maximum of 3 VPs from the strategy. Lady Justice's rampage and some poor placement on Mike's part prevented him from scoring many VPs.
Me - 3
Mike - 1

A Line in the Sand (revealed) - I managed to score the maximum number of VPs for a number of reasons. The main reason was that I managed to block off the Flesh Constructs on my left flank because they could only fit under a nearby bridge in single file and they took a long time to kill my Exorcists who had Damning Oratory and Hard to Wound to aid their survivability as well as "Not Today, Lads" from a Death Marshal Recruiter. On my right flank, Mike only committed a single Necropunk which was not enough to prevent me from placing scheme markers.
Me - 3

Assassinate - Lady Justice finished the game unharmed as Mike was unable to hit her with anything all game. McMourning was almost killed in turn 3 but thanks to some high damage prevention flips he was left with 3 wounds, before finally succumbing in turn 4.
Me - 2
Mike - 0

Outflank (revealed) - Mike kept a Necropunk hidden on my right flank for almost the entire game without me realising and had a Canine Remains on my left flank which I was unable to get to because I was jamming the Flesh Constructs under the bridge. These flanking models arrived on the centre line just in time to score maximum VPs.
Mike - 3

Final Score: 8-4

Overall Thoughts

A hard-fought game despite the difference in VPs. My only real mistake was using a card I was saving for Lady Justice, to keep an Exorcist alive, only to lose him anyway when the Flesh Constructs reactivated due to me having no cards in my hand. Luckily I flipped the card I needed anyway so ultimately I wasn't punished. Mike's biggest mistake was getting the Flesh Constructs stuck under that bridge when perhaps their durability would be put to better use to score VPs from Turf War. If Mike's luck was even average the game would've been much closer but overall it was a fun game.

Glennie
Club Regular
Topic Author

Re: Enforcing the Law - A Guild Blog

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:20 am

Game Details

Encounter Size - 60
Deployment - Standard
Strategy - Reckoning
Available Schemes - A Line in the Sand, Assassinate, Cursed Object, Deliver a Message, Distract.

My Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 5

Lucius
- Legalese

The Scribe

Captain Dashel
- Arrest Him, Watch My Back

Exorcist

Guild Guard
Guild Guard
Guild Lawyer
Guild Lawyer
Witchling Thrall
Witchling Thrall

The strategy for this game was Reckoning, which along with my chosen schemes dictated that I'd be using brute force to get to McMourning as soon as possible.
I chose Assassinate partly because I thought the other schemes might be too difficult to achieve but also because I thought Gary might do the same with McMourning as Mike did in my previous game.
I chose Deliver a Message  and chose to reveal it because I felt I could score maximum VPs with it, using the Witchling Thralls whose considerable durability could be enhanced further by Impassioned Defence from the Lawyers.

Gary's Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 6

McMourning
- On The Clock

Zombie Chihuahua

Angel Eyes
- Vengeance Bullet
Dr. Grimwell
Sebastian

Nurse Heartsbane

Nurse
Nurse
Orderly
Orderly

Gary chose A Line in the Sand and Assassinate.

Luck Ratings

Me - 3/5
Gary - 4/5

MVP

Nurse Heartsbane - She was on a tear in this game, getting three kills, preventing my models from attacking, healing what little damage she took on herself and making full use of the "Right Behind You, Dear..." action and in particularly, its trigger "Back to Bed!" to maximise each of her activations.

Victory Points

Reckoning - Gary's crew excelled at this strategy, particularly with Nurse Heartsbane who earned him one VP in a single activation while preventing a hard hitting Witchling Thrall from making attack actions in an earlier turn with her Put The Restraints On trigger, frustrating my attempts to score VPs.
Me - 2
Gary - 3

A Line in the Sand (unrevealed) - Due to inexperience on Gary's part and Lucius's Legalese upgrade making enemy scheme markers into friendly scheme markers at the end of the game, Gary scored no VPs.
Gary - 0

Assassinate - The Guild Guards, buffed by Captain Dashel's "Ready! Aim!" and "Fire! abilities were instrumental in helping me succeed at this scheme by steadily chipping away at the extremely tough McMourning before some lucky damage flips helped me finish the job in turn 4. Despite flipping really well with Angel Eyes, even when I used Highest Authority, and causing a lot of damage, I managed to keep Lucius alive by using soulstones to reduce damage while replenishing them using Devil's Deal, ending the game with three wounds remaining.
Me - 2
Gary - 0

Deliver a Message (revealed) - My initial plan to get a Witchling Thrall close enough to McMourning to perform the necessary action succeeded (just!) and I was able to claim maximum VPs.
Me - 3

Final Score: 73

Overall Thoughts

Considering how little Gary has played lately, he did really well and could possibly have won if he had a few more games under his belt and if I didn't flip a red joker for damaging McMourning with Dashel.

This was a challenging, often stressful but highly enjoyable game for me. Trying out a new crew was interesting and Lucius will require a lot more practice than the other masters I own. I quite liked the Witchling Thralls but I won't often be running two of them and I continue to be impressed with Exorcists. In future, I need to think harder about my choice of schemes and my ability to achieve them based on the models I have available.

Glennie
Club Regular
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:15 pm

Game Details

Encounter Size - 60
Deployment - Corner
Strategy - Turf War
Available Schemes - A Line in the Sand, Bodyguard, Breakthrough, Take Prisoner, Vendetta.

My Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 5

Lady Justice
- Justice Unleashed, Implacable

The Judge
- Unrelenting Leader

Death Marshal Recruiter
Death Marshal Recruiter
Exorcist
Exorcist

Death Marshal
Death Marshal
Death Marshal

The strategy for this game was Turf War, which I felt confident scoring on as my crew is quite durable and would also make Breakthrough a little easier as Darren would have to send at least some of his crew to the turf marker, making it easier for a model to slip through to his deployment zone.
I chose Bodyguard because The Judge is quite survivable with Hard to Kill as well as being able to use soulstones to reduce damage, and the Recruiters could use "Not Today, Lads" to keep him alive in absolutely dire circumstances.
I chose Breakthrough as I felt I had enough hitting power to get through Darren's crew and get scheme markers in place and I chose to reveal it because I felt I could score maximum VPs, utilising Finish the Job if necessary.

Darren's Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 7

The Dreamer
- Growing Up, Sleep Cycles, Tantrum

Baby Kade
Doppleganger
Mr. Graves
- Warped Reality
Mr. Tannen
- Warped Reality
Serena Bowman
Teddy
- Warped Reality

Darren chose Breakthrough and Vendetta.

Luck Ratings

Me - 2.5/5 - My damage flips were quite good throughout the game but getting to the point where I could make them often proved difficult.
Darren - 3.5/5

MVP

Serena Bowman - Serena's contribution to the game cannot be understated, from pre-game stuff like making the very useful Warped Reality upgrade available, to scoring Darren VPs for Vendetta from such a range that she also contributed to Turf War, whilst also offering a healing option. Her ability to hand out Black Blood combined with The Dreamer summoning Daydreams, which were jamming my models and forcing me to attack them and take damage in the process.

Victory Points

Turf War - Me and Darren both got caught up in scoring VPs from this strategy (to the detriment of our attempts to score from the Breakthrough scheme), with very few models left standing at the end of the game.
Me - 3
Darren - 3

Bodyguard [The Judge] (revealed in turn 4) - Although The Judge survived until the end of the game, I was unable to keep him at 5+ wounds to score the third VP due to some poor damage reduction flips and The Dreamer/Lord Chompy Bits' seemingly unending supply of APs.
Me - 2

Breakthrough (revealed) - The never-ending battle for Turf War left both of us with no models to act as scheme runners to score VPs. I unwisely gambled on the game going to a sixth turn by sending Lady Justice towards Darren's deployment zone, when leaving her in place to score a fourth VP from Turf War would've secured me a draw.
Me - 0
Darren - 0

Vendetta [Death Marshal Recruiter - Serena Bowman] (unrevealed) - Darren scored all three VPs early on by slingshotting Teddy, who had From the Shadows thanks to the Warped Reality upgrade, into my lines using Kade's Where's Teddy? action and Show Ya the Door from Mr. Graves, after I unwittingly positioned his target very poorly in turn 1. Serena used "The Things I've Seen..." on Teddy early on then used her Black Blood Tendril attack to beat the Recruiter to death.
Darren - 3

Final Score: - 6

Overall Thoughts

In my opinion Darren is the best Malifaux player at MGC so a game against him is a good indicator of how I'm progressing, judging by this game I'm doing quite well especially considering I'd never played against The Dreamer before, so this was a big challenge for me.

The game itself was atypical of my experiences so far with Malifaux in that it turned into a huge brawl in the middle of the board. At the end of turn 3 I felt like the game had gotten away from me, only to find that both sides had been decimated. Ultimately, gifting Darren 3 VPs for Vendetta was too much for me to overcome but I feel like I gave a good account of myself.The lessons I need to learn from this game are the importance of getting the positioning of my models right and giving more thought to which upgrades I should use and why, for example I chose Implacable for Lady Justice which would've made the Take Prisoner scheme quite easy to achieve.

Glennie
Club Regular
Topic Author

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:26 pm

Game Details

Encounter Size - 60
Deployment - Standard
Strategy - Reconnoiter
Available Schemes - A Line in the Sand, Distract, Murder Protege, Plant Evidence, Protect Territory.

My Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 5

Sonnia Criid
- Cherufe's Imprint, Counterspell Aura, Reincarnation

Samael Hopkins
- Witch Hunt

Witchling Handler
Witchling Handler

Witchling Stalker
Witchling Stalker
Witchling Thrall
Witchling Thrall

The strategy for this game was Reconnoiter which I felt I quite confident about scoring on while denying Fraggle any VPs.
I chose A Line in the Sand and Murder Protege partly for simplicity but also because I felt my crew would be too slow for Plant Evidence and Protect Territory and I just don't like Distract

Fraggle's Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 6

Ironsides
- Challenge the Crowd, Frontline Leadership, Iron Determination

The Captain
- Imbued Energies, Patron's Blessing

Oxfordian Mage
- Blood Ward
Oxfordian Mage
- Doom Ward
Oxfordian Mage
- Nemesis Ward

Gunsmith
Gunsmith
Union Miner
Union Miner

Fraggle chose A Line in the Sand and Murder Protege.

Luck Ratings

Me - 3/5
Fraggle - 2/5

MVP

Witchling Thrall -  The Witchling Thralls were there to absorb damage to free up the rest of my crew to get into position to put down scheme markers, with Yank the Chain making them more mobile. They performed this role successfully and one of them killed two Oxfordian Mages in a single activation.

Victory Points

Reconnoiter - A lot of my crew were reliant on melee to do damage to Fraggle's crew so it was easy to just let them push into his half of the table to prevent him from scoring VPs while only leaving one or two into each of my table quarters. this worked perfectly allowing me to score maximum VPs.
Me - 4
Fraggle - 1

A Line in the Sand (revealed) - The Union Miners were an ideal choice for this due to False Claim, it was important for me to get rid of them and any scheme markers they were able to put down, which I managed to do by the end of turn 4. One of my Witchling Handlers was able to place two scheme markers with Fraggle's crew unable to get to her until late in the game without enough time to remove them. meaning half of the job was already done. One of my scheme markers was placed in the centre of the board, meaning Fraggle had to make a model ineligible for Reconnoiter in order to remove it, I only needed to place one more to score maximum VPs, this was easily achieved by a Witchling Stalker on my left flank.
Me - 3
Fraggle - 0

Murder Protege [The Captain/Samael Hopkins] (revealed) - This scheme was difficult for either of us to achieve as Samael Hopkins is more effective at range and The Captain tends to be more of a support model due to the utility of Airburst and Wind Wall. As a result neither of us scored any VPs from this scheme.
Me - 0
Fraggle - 0

Final Score: - 1

Overall Thoughts

This was an awkward game for me due to time restrictions and a poor (in my opinion) selection of schemes. Once I started to press into Fraggle's table quarters he found it difficult to turn me back. Sonnia's Flame Wall gave me a lot of denial and stopped the Gunsmiths from shooting at my crew for most of the game, while forcing Ironsides to move where I wanted her.

Fraggle's inexperience really showed and his refusal to just try things out in order to learn resulted in him overthinking every move and making even worse mistakes, this made the game quite easy for me but also gave me a chance to try out the offensive abilities of a master I'm not yet comfortable with.

Opponent's Comments

I recall you saying that my weight of numbers should've given me an advantage - my poor positioning of the mages, along with simply not knowing the potency and synergy of your Thralls, caused me to lose them very quickly, which hindered my damage output somewhat - not getting at least one turn of Furious Casting is painful. Combined with the LoS denial of Flame Wall, this caused me serious issues. You managed to split my forces in precisely the right way, which, given my existing discomfort for the (in my eyes poor) selection of Schemes, made me flap somewhat. When I realised you'd be able to just remove the masses of scheme markers my miners were putting out by the time the game ended, I lost all hope of scraping a few points! I'll also openly confess to forgetting about Reconnoiter.

One thing I'm happy I did was to keep the black Joker in my hand for several turns; preventing an unexpected one from a flip. I need to learn when cheating is a good/bad idea, and when I can afford to leave Ironsides open to attacks; now that she has the built-in Tome for Good Shot, My Turn, she can dish out the pain out of activation even more.

Glennie
Club Regular
Topic Author

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:38 am

Game Details

Encounter Size - 60
Deployment - Standard
Strategy - Squatter's Rights
Available Schemes - A Line in the Sand, Assassinate, Bodyguard, Make Them Suffer, Plant Evidence.

My Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 5

Perdita Ortega
- Fastest Draw in Malifaux, Shooting Cans, Trick Shooting

Francisco Ortega
- Hermano De Armas, Wade In

Abuela Ortega
Nino Ortega
Papa Loco
Santiago Ortega

Pistolero De Latigo
Pistolero De Latigo
Pistolero De Latigo

The strategy for this game was Squatter's Rights which is not a good one for my crew, I wasn't confident of scoring many VPs from this as I would have to commit models fairly early.
I chose Assassinate as I felt Wong was killable and potentially quite early too as I could use Cover Me! from the Hermanos De Armas upgrade which I put on Francisco to move Perdita up the board quickly while also keeping her in range for El Mayor to protect her from any unexpected counter attacks.
I chose Bodyguard because I felt I had sufficient ranged firepower to protect any of my eligible models and my chosen model of Santiago tends to work well at medium range, so I could easily get him far enough up the board to score the points I needed while also still being effective without leaving him at risk of being stuck in melee. 

Del's Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 3

Wong
- Ooo Glowy

Lovely Assistant

Francois LaCroix
- Dirty Cheater
Mancha Roja
- Extra Gremlin

Burt Jebsen

Lightning Bug
Lightning Bug
Lightning Bug
Swine-Cursed
Swine-Cursed

Del chose Assassinate and Make Them Suffer.

Luck Ratings

Me - 5/5 - My Df flips were consistently excellent throughout the game, preventing Del from damaging my models at key times.
Del - 1/5

MVP

Perdita Ortega -  Perdita caused a lot of damage throughout the game, while absorbing a lot of attacks from Del's crew and surviving thanks to El Mayor and a good damage reduction flip, preventing Del from scoring VPs.

Victory Points

Squatter's Rights - Del deployed the majority of his crew on my left flank, which I managed to hold, and I was able to clear the right and turn enough turf markers to score VPs from turn 3 onwards.
Me - 3
Del - 0

Assassinate - Despite the increased mobility for Perdita I was unable to kill Wong before turn 4 due to other targets taking priority. Ultimately Wong was killed when Papa Loco exploded and a lucky damage reduction flip stopped Perdita from also dying in the explosion.
Me - 2
Del - 0

Bodyguard [Santiago Ortega] (revealed in turn 4) - Santiago survived a charge from a Swine-Cursed early on, left at just above half wounds and I was able to score maximum VPs from this scheme with ease after Del's left flank collapsed.
Me - 3

Make Them Suffer - Del was unable to score VPs from this scheme as he misunderstood it and targeted the wrong models, but to be fair his luck probably would've stopped him from succeeding anyway.
Del - 0

Final Score: - 0

Overall Thoughts

It was hard to really take much away from this game because of the difference in luck but other factors were also in play such as a very open board with clear fire lanes and Del trying out a lot of new models at the same time. I was impressed with Perdita's Fastest Draw in Malifaux upgrade and I used Francisco to full effect for the first time with spectacular results. Hopefully my next game with Del will be a bit more even and he'll find a master he really enjoys and can get the most out of.

Glennie
Club Regular
Topic Author

Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:11 am

Game Details

Encounter Size - 60
Deployment - Flank
Strategy - Reckoning
Available Schemes - A Line in the Sand, Bodyguard, Plant Evidence, Protect Territory, Spring the Trap.

My Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 5

Lucius
- Legalese

The Scribe

Captain Dashel
- Arrest Him
Master Queeg
Watch My Back

Guild Guard
Guild Guard
Guild Lawyer
Guild Lawyer
Witchling Thrall
Witchling Thrall

Reckoning was a difficult strategy for my crew, due to a lack of hard hitters other than the Thralls and because of the durability of Gary's crew.
I chose Bodyguard as I had two fairly good choices for my chosen model, both of whom tend to act as support for the rest of my crew, which would keep them out of the thick of the fighting increasing their chances of surviving.
I chose Plant Evidence as Lucius and Master Queeg could help my crew manoeuvre quickly while the Thralls tied up Gary's crew.

Gary's Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 3

Seamus
- Bag o' ToolsMad Haberdasher, Red Chapel Killer

Copycat Killer

Angel Eyes
Madame Sybelle
- Bleeding Tongue, Not Too Banged Up

Bete Noire

Canine Remains
Flesh Construct
Rotten Belle
Rotten Belle
Rotten Belle

Gary chose Bodyguard and Plant Evidence.

Luck Ratings

Me - 5/5 - Similarly to my previous game, my Df duels were often really good.
Gary - 2/5 - Gary's luck was below average and he managed to flip a red and black joker at the same time on one occasion, that always stands out.

MVP

Witchling Thrall - They worked perfectly as speed bumps, bogging down Gary's crew for much of the game as he while killing Seamus, two Rotten Belles, the Copycat Killer and a Flesh Construct, partly due to attacks generated by Lucius's Commanding Presence ability and Issue Command action, as well as deliberately putting down a scheme marker to trigger the Thrall's Prone to Frenzy ability.

Victory Points

Reckoning - Gary initially found the strategy easy due to the Rotten Belles spamming Lure at me, pulling my crew close for easy prey but I was gradually able to overpower him as the game went on, the Thralls were particularly useful in taking down Seamus and a Flesh Construct.
Me - 3
Gary - 2

Bodyguard(revealed in turn 4) [Captain Dashel/Bete Noire] - Captain Dashel was safe for almost the entire game and the only time he was actually vulnerable, Gary had to attack a Lawyer in order to score a much easier VP for Reckoning. Bete Noire was able to survive most of the game due to her Drawn to Death and Death Rattles abilities but she finally fell for good in turn 5, denying Gary a third VP.
Me - 3
Gary - 2

Protect Territory (revealed) - My plan of holding up Gary's crew with Thralls while the rest of my crew put down scheme markers was successful, allowing me to score full VPs. Gary banked on me overcommitting my crew, allowing a single Canine Remains getting round the board to score VPs but I managed to take it down with Master Queeg before it could get into position.
Me - 3
Gary - 0

Final Score: 9-4

Overall Thoughts

Gary is adapting quickly to the game and this was more challenging than last time we played and he clearly learned a lot from his game against Darren last week, if he had a bit more luck and maybe another scheme runner then this game would've been closer. I'm starting to become more comfortable with the process of selecting schemes appropriate for my crew and I did a lot better at making the most of Lucius's strengths, though I still need to work out which upgrades work best with him.

Glennie
Club Regular
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:25 pm

Game Details

Encounter Size - 60
Deployment - Standard
Available Schemes - A Line in the Sand, Assassinate, Cursed Object, Entourage, Protect Territory.

My Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 6

Lady Justice
- Swordfighter, Vendetta

The Judge

Death Marshal Recruiter
Death Marshal Recruiter
Exorcist
Exorcist

Death Marshal
Death Marshal
Death Marshal

I felt that Squatter's Rights was not a good strategy for my crew as it is relatively slow and I was heavily outnumbered so I would have to commit APs to interacting with Squat Markers that I should be using to make attacks.
I chose Assassinate as I felt Lady Justice could take down Ophelia as Del would rely on her to do a lot of the heavy lifting, leaving her exposed.
I chose Entourage because I felt Lady Justice could break through his lines and keep herself alive. 

Del's Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 5

Ophelia LaCroix
- Dirty Cheater

Young LaCroix
Young LaCroix

Francois LaCroix
- Dirty Cheater

Burt Jebsen
Merris LaCroix
Rami LaCroix
Raphael LaCroix

Rooster Rider
Rooster Rider
Rooster Rider

Del chose Assassinate and Entourage.

Luck Ratings

Me - 2/5
Del - 3/5

MVP

Ophelia LaCroix - Ophelia faced down Lady Justice and survived, preventing me from scoring any VPs from my schemes, giving Del an unassailable lead.

Victory Points

Squatter's Rights - Del's larger crew was able to overpower mine though I kept him from scoring maximum VPs.
Me - 1
Del - 2

Assassinate - Our masters were fighting each other in turns 2 and 3 but ultimately Del's cards were better than mine and Lady Justice was killed, giving maximum VPs to Del.
Me - 0
Del - 3

Entourage [Lady Justice/Merris LaCroix](revealed) - I made a serious error in choosing Lady Justice for this scheme, knowing full well I was relying on her being in the thick of the fighting. Del scored maximum VPs after Merris remained hidden until she was able to move into my deployment zone, by which time I could do nothing about it.
Me - 0
Del - 3

Final Score: - 8

Overall Thoughts

I was relying on Lady Justice far too much in this game, despite knowing that one turn of bad cards could scupper my plans entirely, which was exactly what happened. The Exorcists were a waste of points and I used the Recruiters very poorly, I probably won't be using Guild Marshals against Gremlins in future. The game started off quite well but was ultimately pretty one-sided, I'll have to go back to the drawing board before playing against Del again.

Glennie
Club Regular
Topic Author

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:45 pm

Game Details

Encounter Size - 60
Deployment - Standard
Available Schemes - A Line in the Sand, Cursed Object, Distract, Protect Territory, Spring the Trap.

My Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 6

Lady Justice
- Swordfighter, Vendetta

The Judge

Death Marshal Recruiter
Death Marshal Recruiter
Exorcist
Exorcist

Death Marshal
Death Marshal
Death Marshal

Squatter's Rights was an alright strategy for me but I was heavily outnumbered so I needed to make sure I got to the squat markers before Mike could, so I could prevent him from taking them back from me.
I chose A Line in the Sand as I already had to get to the centreline for the strategy and I had a lot of models with Finish the Job, giving me a lot of options for putting down scheme markers.
I chose Spring the Trap as I found McMourning durable so it would be easier to ignore him in order to score VPs from this scheme and I felt the other schemes were too difficult for my crew. 

Mike's Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 6

McMourning
- Evidence TamperingUnknowable Pain, Unnerving Aura

Zombie Chihuahua

Sebastian
- Transfusion

Canine Remains
Canine Remains
Canine Remains
Flesh Construct
Flesh Construct
Necropunk
Necropunk
Nurse
Nurse

Mike chose Cursed Object and Distract.

Luck Ratings

Me - 3/5
Mike - 2/5

MVP

Necropunks - Mike was using Leap to move them whilst also leaving them with enough AP to use the interact actions for his choice of schemes, meaning I had to save activations just to clear conditions, they're also really durable, meaning I had to dedicate resources to removing them.

Victory Points

Reckoning - I got my crew into position for this scheme as soon as possible, scoring maximum VPs with Mike only able to turn one squat marker all game.
Me - 4
Mike - 0

A Line in the Sand (revealed) - By turn 4 I had managed to kill or bury nearly all of Mike's crew, leaving me easily able to put down enough scheme markers to gain maximum VPs.
Me - 3

Cursed Object (revealed in turn 2) - Mike was willing to sacrifice the entire activation of multiple models, particularly the Necropunks in order to score VPs from this scheme and was able to do so, despite Restore Natural Order on Lady Justice
Mike - 3

Distract (revealed in turn 2) - Mike used similar tactics to those he used for Cursed Object but this scheme is harder to score from, and only Restore Natural Order managed to stop him from scoring maximum VPs.
Mike - 2

Spring The Trap (revealed in turn 4) - My plan of forcing my way through to McMourning worked and only the fact that he was positioned in a narrow area prevented me from scoring maximum VPs
Me - 2

Final Score: 9-5

Overall Thoughts

This was a really fun and challenging game, we drew a lot of schemes that I wasn't used to using or playing against so I gained a lot of new ideas regarding my approach to the game. Ultimately I was able to win because I managed to kill or bury all of Mike's crew except for Sebastian and McMourning, meaning he simply couldn't compete for squat markers.

Glennie
Club Regular
Topic Author

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:03 pm

Game Details

Encounter Size - 60
Deployment - Corner
Strategy - Turf War
Available Schemes - A Line in the Sand, Breakthrough, Distract, Entourage, Take Prisoner.

My Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 6

Perdita Ortega
- Fastest Draw in Malifaux, Trick Shooting

Francisco Ortega
- Hermanos de Armas, Wade In

Abuela Ortega
Nino Ortega
Papa Loco
Santiago Ortega

Pistolero de Latigo
Pistolero de Latigo
Pistolero de Latigo

Turf War was an good strategy for me as I had a lot of ranged firepower and I felt I could remove Gary's crew from the centre of the board with relative ease.
I chose Breakthrough as I felt I could get one or two models into Gary's deployment zone and I would already have a heavy presence in the centre of the board for Turf War.
I chose Entourage as I thought the other schemes were too difficult for my crew to achieve at the same time as trying to score VPs for Turf War and Santiago is always a solid choice.

Gary's Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 3

Seamus
- Bag o' ToolsMad Haberdasher, Red Chapel Killer

Copycat Killer

Angel Eyes
- Corpse Bloat
Madame Sybelle
- Bleeding TongueNot Too Banged Up

Bete Noire

Canine Remains
Canine Remains
Rotten Belle
Rotten Belle
Rotten Belle

Gary chose A Line in the Sand and Entourage.

Luck Ratings

Me - 4/5
Gary - 2/5

MVP

Papa Loco - His major contribution to the game was to be killed with Sybelle and all three of the Belles in range for BOOM!, meaning I could finish them off with ease.

Victory Points

Turf War - I had four to seven models in range of the turf marker in every turn except the first, whereas Gary was relying on Bete Noire and summoned Dead Doxies but this wasn't enough and I was able to overpower him.
Me - 4
Gary - 2

A Line in the Sand (revealed) - Gary was flanking me with both of his Canine Remains and was easily able to score maximum VPs.
Gary - 3

Breakthrough (revealed) - Abuela, Perdita and Santiago were able to put scheme markers in range for this scheme after I cleared the centre of the board by the end of turn 4.
Me - 3

Entourage [Santiago Ortega - Seamus] (revealed) - Despite both of us revealing this scheme, we almost completely ignored each other and were both able to score maximum VPs.
Me - 3
Gary - 3

Final Score: 10-8

Overall Thoughts

This was a close game, though Gary initially didn't think it was until we counted up the final tally of VPs. My plan of using brute force to secure the centre of the board worked really well as I often had a good hand and Fastest Draw in Malifaux meant I won the initiative flip almost every time but Gary chose his schemes perfectly resulting in a really high scoring game. Flanking models remain a big problem for me, I'll have to think about how I can deal with that better.