Welcome to our Forum....

Glennie
Club Regular
Topic Author

Enforcing the Law - A Guild Blog

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:46 pm

I've decided I'm going to keep a record of all my games at 60ss, write summaries and any other thoughts and observations. I invite my opponents to drop in with their own comments on our games.

Master Games Played Wins Losses Draws VPs Scored VPs Conceded
Lady Justice 2 1 1 0 13 10
Lucius 1 1 0 0 7 3
Perdita Ortega 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sonnia 0 0 0 0 0 0

Games Played to Date

05/09/17 - 8-4 win - Lady Justice vs McMourning (Mike)
12/09/17 - 7-3 win - Lucius vs McMourning (Gary)
19/09/17 - 5-6 loss - Lady Justice vs The Dreamer (Darren)

Glennie
Club Regular
Topic Author

Enforcing the Law - A Guild Blog

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:05 pm

Game Details

Deployment - Standard
Strategy - Turf War
Available Schemes - A Line in the Sand, Assassinate, Outflank, Protect Territory, Take Prisoner.

My Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 4

Lady Justice
- Justice Unleashed, Vendetta

The Judge
- Unrelenting Leader

Death Marshal Recruiter
Death Marshal Recruiter
Exorcist
Exorcist

Death Marshal
Death Marshal
Death Marshal

I chose Assassinate as I knew Mike would be eager to 'nuke' me with poison using McMourning and other shenanigans which can only be done at a relatively short range and with Turf War as the strategy both of our crews would be drawn towards the centre of the board. I chose A Line in the Sand as I had an abundance of models with Finish the Job but also because I suspected Mike might take Outflank, as he outnumbered me heavily and had some durable models like Flesh Constructs and Necropunks which could keep my crew occupied while his cheap runners got themselves into position to score maximum VPs.

Mike's Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 5

McMourning
- Evidence TamperingUnknowable Pain, Unnerving Aura

Zombie Chihuahua

Sebastian
- Decaying Aura

Canine Remains
Canine Remains
Canine Remains
Flesh Construct
Flesh Construct
Necropunk
Necropunk
Nurse
Nurse

Mike chose Assassinate and Outflank.

Luck Ratings

Using a scale of 1-5, where 1 is your cards actively betraying you to your doom and 5 is having a lucky rabbit's foot wearing a horseshoe, with four-leaf clovers between the toes.

Me - 5/5
Mike - 1/5 - Summed up nicely by me flipping a black joker for a Df duel and Mike still having to cheat to succeed.

MVP

Lady Justice - No model was even close, she damaged two Nurses with Riposte, flipped a 12 at the first time of asking for Restore Natural Order which removed all the poison that Mike had put on the board to help him set up for Assassinate and to cause large amount of damage to my models, and due to my good luck with cards and liberal use of the Onslaught trigger she killed two Nurses, Sebastian and caused around 24 points of damage (before damage reduction flips, which might be the only thing Mike had good flips for all game) to McMourning.

Victory Points

Turf War - Due to time restrictions we could only play until the end of turn 4, meaning we could only score a maximum of 3 VPs from the strategy. Lady Justice's rampage and some poor placement on Mike's part prevented him from scoring many VPs.

Me - 3
Mike - 1

A Line in the Sand (revealed) - I managed to score the maximum number of VPs for a number of reasons. The main reason was that I managed to block off the Flesh Constructs on my left flank because they could only fit under a nearby bridge in single file and they took a long time to kill my Exorcists who had Damning Oratory and Hard to Wound to aid their survivability as well as "Not Today, Lads" from a Death Marshal Recruiter. On my right flank, Mike only committed a single Necropunk which was not enough to prevent me from placing scheme markers.

Me - 3

Assassinate - Lady Justice finished the game unharmed as Mike was unable to hit her with anything all game. McMourning was almost killed in turn 3 but thanks to some high damage prevention flips he was left with 3 wounds, before finally succumbing in turn 4.

Me - 2
Mike - 0

Outflank (revealed) - Mike kept a Necropunk hidden on my right flank for almost the entire game without me realising and had a Canine Remains on my left flank which I was unable to get to because I was jamming the Flesh Constructs under the bridge. These flanking models arrived on the centre line just in time to score maximum VPs.

Mike - 3

Final Score: 8-4

Overall Thoughts

A hard-fought game despite the difference in VPs. My only real mistake was using a card I was saving for Lady Justice, to keep an Exorcist alive, only to lose him anyway when the Flesh Constructs reactivated due to me having no cards in my hand. Luckily I flipped the card I needed anyway so ultimately I wasn't punished. Mike's biggest mistake was getting the Flesh Constructs stuck under that bridge when perhaps their durability would be put to better use to score VPs from Turf War. If Mike's luck was even average the game would've been much closer but overall it was a fun game.

Glennie
Club Regular
Topic Author

Re: Enforcing the Law - A Guild Blog

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:20 am

Game Details

Deployment - Standard
Strategy - Reckoning
Available Schemes - A Line in the Sand, Assassinate, Cursed Object, Deliver a Message, Distract.

My Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 5

Lucius
- Legalese

The Scribe

Captain Dashel
- Arrest Him, Watch My Back

Exorcist

Guild Guard
Guild Guard
Guild Lawyer
Guild Lawyer
Witchling Thrall
Witchling Thrall

I chose Assassinate partly because I thought the other schemes might be too difficult to achieve but also because I thought Gary might do the same with McMourning as Mike did in my previous game. I chose Deliver a Message  and chose to reveal it because I felt I could score maximum VPs with it, using the Witchling Thralls whose considerable durability could be enhanced further by Impassioned Defence from the Lawyers. The strategy for this game was Reckoning, which along with my chosen schemes dictated that I'd be using brute force to get to McMourning as soon as possible.

Gary's Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 6

McMourning
- On The Clock

Zombie Chihuahua

Angel Eyes
- Vengeance Bullet
Dr. Grimwell
Sebastian

Nurse Heartsbane

Nurse
Nurse
Orderly
Orderly

Gary chose A Line in the Sand and Assassinate.

Luck Ratings

Me - 3/5
Gary - 4/5

MVP

Nurse Heartsbane - She was on a tear in this game, getting three kills, preventing my models from attacking, healing what little damage she took on herself and making full use of the "Right Behind You, Dear..." action and in particularly, its trigger "Back to Bed!" to maximise each of her activations.

Victory Points

Reckoning - Gary's crew excelled at this strategy, particularly with Nurse Heartsbane who earned him one VP in a single activation while preventing a hard hitting Witchling Thrall from making attack actions in an earlier turn with her Put The Restraints On trigger, frustrating my attempts to score VPs.

Me - 2
Gary - 3

A Line in the Sand (unrevealed) - Due to inexperience on Gary's part and Lucius's Legalese upgrade making enemy scheme markers into friendly scheme markers at the end of the game, Gary scored no VPs.

Gary - 0

Assassinate - The Guild Guards, buffed by Captain Dashel's "Ready! Aim!" and "Fire! abilities were instrumental in helping me succeed at this scheme by steadily chipping away at the extremely tough McMourning before some lucky damage flips helped me finish the job in turn 4. Despite flipping really well with Angel Eyes, even when I used Highest Authority, and causing a lot of damage, I managed to keep Lucius alive by using soulstones to reduce damage while replenishing them using Devil's Deal, ending the game with three wounds remaining.

Me - 2
Gary - 0

Deliver a Message (revealed) - My initial plan to get a Witchling Thrall close enough to McMourning to perform the necessary action succeeded (just!) and I was able to claim maximum VPs.

Me - 3

Final Score: 73

Overall Thoughts

Considering how little of the game Gary has played, he did really well and could possibly have won if he had a few more games under his belt and if I didn't flip a red joker for damaging McMourning with Dashel.

This was a challenging, often stressful but highly enjoyable game for me. Trying out a new crew was interesting and Lucius will require a lot more practice than the other masters I own. I quite liked the Witchling Thralls but I won't often be running two of them and I continue to be impressed with Exorcists. In future, I need to think harder about my choice of schemes and my ability to achieve them based on the models I have available.

Glennie
Club Regular
Topic Author

Re: Enforcing the Law - A Guild Blog

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:15 pm

Game Details

Deployment - Corner
Strategy - Turf War
Available Schemes - A Line in the Sand, Bodyguard, Breakthrough, Take Prisoner, Vendetta.

My Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 5

Lady Justice
- Justice Unleashed, Implacable

The Judge
- Unrelenting Leader

Death Marshal Recruiter
Death Marshal Recruiter
Exorcist
Exorcist

Death Marshal
Death Marshal
Death Marshal

I chose Bodyguard because The Judge is quite survivable with Hard to Kill as well as being able to use soulstones to reduce damage, and the Recruiters could use "Not Today, Lads" to keep him alive in absolutely dire circumstances. I chose Breakthrough as I felt I had enough hitting power to get through Darren's crew and get scheme markers in place and I chose to reveal it because I felt I could score maximum VPs, utilising Finish the Job if necessary. The strategy for this game was Turf War, which I felt confident scoring on as my crew is quite durable and would also make Breakthrough a little easier as Darren would have to send at least some of his crew to the turf marker, making it easier for a model to slip through to his deployment zone.

Darren's Crew & Schemes

Soulstone Pool - 7

The Dreamer
- Growing Up, Sleep Cycles, Tantrum

Baby Kade
Doppleganger
Mr. Graves
- Warped Reality
Mr. Tannen
- Warped Reality
Serena Bowman
Teddy
- Warped Reality

Darren chose Breakthrough and Vendetta.

Luck Ratings

Me - 2.5/5 - My damage flips were quite good throughout the game but getting to the point where I could make them often proved difficult.
Darren - 3.5/5

MVP

Serena Bowman - Serena's contribution to the game cannot be understated, from pre-game stuff like making the very useful Warped Reality upgrade available, to scoring Darren VPs for Vendetta from such a range that she also contributed to Turf War, whilst also offering a healing option. Her ability to hand out Black Blood combined with The Dreamer summoning Daydreams, which were jamming my models and forcing me to attack them and take damage in the process.

Victory Points

Turf War - Me and Darren both got caught up in scoring VPs from this strategy (to the detriment of our attempts to score from the Breakthrough scheme), with very few models left standing at the end of the game.

Me - 3
Darren - 3

Bodyguard [The Judge] (revealed in turn 4) - Although The Judge survived until the end of the game, I was unable to keep him at 5+ wounds to score the third VP due to some poor damage reduction flips and The Dreamer/Lord Chompy Bits' seemingly unending supply of APs.

Me - 2

Breakthrough (revealed) - The never-ending battle for Turf War left both of us with no models to act as scheme runners to score VPs. I unwisely gambled on the game going to a sixth turn by sending Lady Justice towards Darren's deployment zone, when leaving her in place to score a fourth VP from Turf War would've secured me a draw.

Me - 0
Darren - 0

Vendetta [Serena Bowman - Death Marshal Recruiter] (unrevealed) - Darren scored all three VPs early on by slingshotting Teddy, who had From the Shadows thanks to the Warped Reality upgrade, into my lines using Kade's Where's Teddy? action and Show Ya the Door from Mr. Graves, after I unwittingly positioned his target very poorly in turn 1. Serena used "The Things I've Seen..." on Teddy early on then used her Black Blood Tendril attack to beat the Recruiter to death.

Darren - 3

Final Score: - 6

Overall Thoughts

In my opinion Darren is the best Malifaux player at MGC so a game against him is a good indicator of how I'm progressing, judging by this game I'm doing quite well especially considering I'd never played against The Dreamer before, so this was a big challenge for me.

The game itself was atypical of my experiences so far with Malifaux in that it turned into a huge brawl in the middle of the board. At the end of turn 3 I felt like the game had gotten away from me, only to find that both sides had been decimated. Ultimately, gifting Darren 3 VPs for Vendetta was too much for me to overcome but I feel like I gave a good account of myself.

The lessons I need to learn from this game are the importance of getting the positioning of my models right and giving more thought to which upgrades I should use and why, for example I chose Implacable for Lady Justice which would've made the Take Prisoner scheme quite easy to achieve.